Update (2016-11-08): Added a new section titled “Interviews with President Zuma” with embedded audio recordings of interviews conducted by the Public Protector.
The State Capture Report is the culmination of a revealing investigation into various allegations of corruption and irregular actions by prominent politicians and business people. This is the first paragraph of the report’s introduction:
The investigation emanates from complaints lodged against the President by Father S. Mayebe on behalf of the Dominican Order, a group of Catholic Priests, on 18 March 2016 (The First Complainant); Mr. Mmusi Maimane, the leader of the Democratic Alliance and Leader of the Opposition in Parliament on 18 March 2016 (The Second Complainant), in terms of section 4 of the Executive Members’ Ethics Act, 82 of 1998 (EMEA); and a member of the public on 22 April 2016 (The third Complainant), whose name I have withheld.
It was completed in October 2016 by Advocate Thuli Madonsela, then the Public Protector. The report was submitted to the Speaker of Parliament and withheld, partly due to legal challenges to its release by the President and others.
On 2 November 2016, a full bench of the High Court ordered the State Capture Report’s release. The court ordered the Public Protector to release the report on its website which crashed soon after the order was made. The report eventually became available on the website. Below are download links to the two parts of the report.
I have included alternative download links to copies of the report stored on Amazon S3 in case the Public Protector’s site goes down.
The State Capture Report
- Report No:6 of 2016/17 on an investigation into alleged improper and unethical conduct by the President and other state functionaries relating to alleged improper relationships and involvement of the Gupta family in the removal and appointment of Ministers and Directors of the State-Owned Enterprises resulting in improper and possibly corrupt award of state contracts and benefits to the Gupta family’s businesses
- Annexure A1 Interview between President Zuma and the Public Protector
The Report is also available from SAFLII:
Interviews with President Zuma
eNCA has published audio recordings of the Public Protector’s interviews with President Zuma on its website. The President has lodged a complaint with the Public Protector about this but the interviews are currently available through these players:
As you would expect, there has been considerable analysis of the State Capture Report.
Below are some of the links that I came across which seem particularly helpful in understanding the findings of the report and their implications. I may add to this list from time to time so check back for updates.
- LIVE BLOG: The release of the state capture report as it happens | RDM
- Madonsela’s state capture report: Five key findings | RDM
- Analysis: Thuli’s final Game Changer | Daily Maverick
- State of Capture report: Passing Thuli Madonsela’s legacy to the future | Daily Maverick
- Read Thuli Madonsela’s full ‘State of Capture’ report here | M&G
- Mbeki set up trough for JZ’s cronies to feed | M&G
- #StateCaptureReport Round-Up: Treasury was a ‘stumbling block’ to Guptas’ business ambitions | News24
- State capture report shows a President gone rogue – Judith February
- SUNDAY TIMES – Van Rooyen visited Guptas 7 days in a row prior to appointment as finance minister
- Editor’s Note: Madonsela roasts Eskom over Gupta ‘capture’ | financialmail
- Madonsela’s Masterpiece: Now obvious why #Zuptas were desperate to block it – BizNews.com
- TRAINSPOTTER: State of Rapture – How the craziest day in SA history unfolded | Daily Maverick
Interviews and discussions about the State Capture Report
State Capture Report developments
I created a Twitter Moment titled “#StateCapture Links, News and Analysis” to help organize many of the developments I found particularly helpful. This Moment may also be updated over time:
Of course you can also follow the #StateCapture hashtag on Twitter for even more developments and analysis: